Thursday, November 25, 2010

Present

Don't let yesterday use up too much of today.
 ~Cherokee Indian Proverb

I tried to keep this in mind today, I wanted to have an old fashion thanksgiving.
One where I wasn't reminded of the long road that we have walked.

I awoke early to make my great Aunt's sweet potato recipe.
Alone in the kitchen I washed and cut the tubers and put them on the stove to boil.

As I mashed them up I thought of my Aunt making the dish so many times in her life, I thought of my grandmother making the dish many times in her life and I thought of how I am now making it.
For a moment, I felt like I was connected to my past.

At the table I was asked about the sweet potato dish and as I am the only one who still makes it, I said:
I need to make sure someone can make it besides me, and in that same moment I said...
I will teach my nephew...
it was quick and I felt no pain about it.

It was like I was normal for a moment.
I am thankful for that.

No comments: