Monday, April 22, 2013

Empty-NIAW 2013

In honor of NIAW I have decided to post something I wrote two years ago:



Emptiness- containing nothing
Infertility left a hole in me. I was left as shell of myself for some time.
The first sign that something was wrong arrived while I was at work…I got a frantic phone call from my doctor just two hours after my first pelvic ultrasound. “Um… there is a fairly large unknown growth that appears to be in your bladder and we are not sure exactly what it is. So I need to you see a gynecological oncologist, an urologist and get a CT scan in the next day or so”.  I worked at a warehouse and so while she is feeding me a list of numbers and phrases over the phone, I was simply seeking a quiet place to hear all she was saying. When she was done, I couldn’t move; but when I did I shot out the door as fast as I could in hopes no one would see the flood of tears that would be my last for a long while.
I became a pin cushion, I was probed and prodded for months, years…some people were skilled and left no marks, others left bruises, rashes and scar tissue.
I was submissive through this all.
As the months passed, something shifted and I felt nothing; no pain, no joy, no happiness… nothing. Food was not enjoyable; friends were of no comfort. I spent time staring into space, watching the walls be white. I commuted 45 miles to work daily, and often times would find myself at work not remembering how I got there, even though I had driven myself. It took great effort to make easy decisions, like which cereal to buy for breakfast. I was on auto pilot.
I was able to dress myself, bath myself and eat, but I was not there for it.
I stopped expressing emotions; I didn’t laugh, get angry or cry. I was a shell, it was me to all appearances, but no one was home.
The stork has been visiting- 2007
I visited her at the hospital, and cried on the way there. Mourning as I drove closer and closer...
The night I received her call, I dozed off with my arms wrapped around my invisible baby...wanting so badly to wake from this horrible dream I am in.
I felt like Dumbo's mama watching all the other mothers receive their babies.

I have not slept well and had a panic attack in the shower this morning...feeling as though I would faint. I fought the collapse, because I didn't want to frighten my husband in the early hour.
Sadly, it would have been very easy to surrender to the dark.”  Text from BARREN: life on infertile soil
As my bruises healed I was left with the stark reality of having no external symbols of my pain, my heartbreak, my existence.
How would anyone know what was happening…

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hi from ICLW. How horrible to have to go through this!

Mali said...

I hope that that seems a long time ago now. But I commend you for feeling brave enough to post it again, for NIAW. (I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to say for NIAW too).

Egg Timer said...

Hello, I am here from ICLW and I am touched by both this post and the one that follows. I

Kim said...

I've been reading you for a couple of months now and just wanted to take a moment to say that your posts really hit a chord in me. A familiarity. Thank you for sharing them.

claire said...

I don't know what to say, I feel exactly the same thing.

nicole said...

I am finally catching up on blogs my dearest.

This was beautiful and brave. You are so strong. I have been thinking about writing a post about mending broken hearts. This reminded me that the idea that we have to do so is hugely important, because we've all hurt too much.